The human body comprises more than 50% of water, so it’s important to keep it fresh and topped up to keep the body working properly. Remember, once the body’s water requirement is not met, it has various unfavorable short-term and long-term health consequences.
Suppose you have been dehydrated for a long period. In that case, it can lead to several health problems like rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, angina, colitis, dyspepsia, hypertension, obesity, hemorrhoids, breast cancer, pulmonary tuberculosis, kidney stones, sinusitis, and worst is uterine cancers.
Help your body to better avoid these conditions by drinking water after waking up and keeping your body hydrated throughout the day. Keep reading for 10 reasons why there is just no substitute for plain old H2O :
1) Water helps our brain power. Healthline cites a study which showed that even very mild dehydration can impair aspects of our brain function. Another study showed that fluid loss of just over 1% in young men was detrimental to their working memories, and it led to higher rates of anxiety and low moods.
2) Your tummy will be healthier. According to Body and Soul, your stomach needs three key things for good digestion: fiber, exercise, and water. It keeps waste moving along your digestive tract properly and helps to prevent bloating.
3) It can lower your risk of cancer. Research has shown that being well hydrated can reduce your risk of colon cancer and bladder cancer by 45 – 50%, and it has been linked to a lowered risk of breast cancer too, according to Breaking Muscle.
4) Water contains no calories! Just think of the savings when you reach for a glass of water instead of a soda or a natural juice, which both land at around 150 calories (sweetened juice has twice as much!) according to WebMD.
The same goes for food—foods that are high in water content are bigger, healthier, and more filling because they are absorbed more slowly by the body. This includes foods like fruit and vegetables, oats, beans, and broth-based soups.
5) Water relieves constipation. It may be embarrassing to talk about but constipation is a very common issue, and one of the key treatment protocols is to consume more water.
According to Healthline, constipation is particularly high in those with low water intake, so drinking plenty of water will act as both a preventative measure and a treatment option.
6) Your kidneys need water to clean your body. Our kidneys are in charge of keeping our bodies free of toxins, and it is fluid that allows this process to happen.
According to WebMD, the main toxin in our body is blood urea nitrogen and it is water-soluble, meaning that if we have enough fluids then our kidneys easily flush it out via urine.
And on that note, urine is a good indicator of whether you are well hydrated. It should be light in color with little odor. If you are dehydrated, urine tends to be darker with a stronger smell.
7) Water is essential for healthy skin. Our skin is our largest organ and it needs to be well hydrated. The American Skin Association recommends drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day to keep your skin soft and clear.
Water allows the skin to regenerate new cells more quickly, and to keep our pores clear and regulate our body temperature by sweating. Dehydration can cause dull, dry skin, and premature wrinkling.
8) Water makes us stronger. As explained by WebMD, when our muscle cells don’t have enough fluid our electrolytes shrivel, making our muscles feel tired.
This means your water intake is especially important when you are exercising, and drinking water a couple of hours before exercise will allow your muscles to be at their best. It’s important to drink small amounts regularly throughout exercise, too, to replace the amount you are sweating out.
9) It helps with joint pain. You may have heard of glucosamine, a common supplement which helps with joint pain. What you may not know is that glucosamine aids in the cartilages ability to absorb water, so once again, water is the key ingredient in keeping your cartilage soft and hydrated, says Breaking Muscle.
10) You’ll be less hungover. According to Healthline, alcohol is a diuretic and it therefore causes you to lose more water than you take in. It feels counterintuitive because you’re drinking so much liquid, but no one can argue with that awful, dry-mouthed thirst you wake up with.
A good way of combatting dehydration, and therefore lessening your hangover, is to drink one glass of water between each alcoholic drink you consume, and to ensure that you have a big drink of water before bed.
Not all of us love drinking water, but there are lots of ways to make it more interesting and appealing.
Firstly, it’s a good habit to carry a water bottle with you so that you get into a routine of sipping water regularly. You can give it delicious flavor and extra nutrients by adding a slice of lemon or orange, berries, cucumber, or fresh mint leaves.
You can carbonate it, or you can even have it in the form of caffeine-free tea. There are lots of yummy, natural teas out there and you can enjoy them hot or cold.
Try experimenting over the next week with different ways to increase your water intake. Find out what works for you, set goals, and get hydrated! You’ll feel the difference.
Why I Was Not Able To Bury My Late Husband After He Died – Woman Cries Out
My name is Maame Akua Addai, I stayed happily with my husband Samuel and our children. Two years ago he got sick and I sent him to the hospital, but he died while being treated in the hospital. The body was sent to the morgue, the whole family gathered to organize his funeral and funeral […]
Why I Slapped My Stepfather After He Punished Me – Young Lady Narrate
My name is Yaa Pokua. I have lived with my father and stepmother since childhood. I never knew it was Maame Jemima who gave birth to me. My dad lied to me that she’s my aunt when we visit her in our hometown. A few months ago, I fell ill and was hospitalized. Maame Jemima […]
Psychologist Warn: Never Use These 5 Phrases When Talking To Your Child
They are someone we turn to for support, guidance, and safety. They are someone we look up to tell us the rules of this mystery we are born into. The truth is we are all human and we all make mistakes. However, to a child’s mind its parents are something a lot more than just […]
Viral2 months ago
Reaction As Security Guard Proposed To A Lecturer Inside School Premises (Photos)
HEALTH3 months ago
The Kind Of Curses You Attract To Yourself Whenever You Sleep With A Married Woman
HEALTH2 months ago
Eat garden egg ‘ALWAYS” If You Notice These 5 symptoms
HEALTH3 months ago
Early morning Short prayer that will turn things around for you Every days of your life
HEALTH2 months ago
If You Notice Stretch Marks On Any Of These Part Of Your Body, See What It Means
Sports2 months ago
European club slammed for rejecting €50 million Chelsea bid for 24-year-old midfielder – It’s almost criminal
Viral2 months ago
If You Want God To Answer Your Prayers, Don’t Try These 5 Things
Ghana3 months ago
“I was very mad and I vowed to help Nigerians instead of Ghanaians if I see them in need”- Former Ghana international