Connect with us

Sports

Mikel Arteta backs Aaron Ramsdale to be England’s No 1 at the World Cup ahead of Jordan Pickford.

Published

on

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta thinks Aaron Ramsdale is ready to be England’s first-choice goalkeeper at this year’s World Cup in Qatar.

Jordan Pickford has made the position his own under Gareth Southgate over the past four years after starring at the 2018 World Cup, but he has been ruled out of England’s upcoming international matches against Italy and Germany with a thigh problem.

Ramsdale is in line to deputise for him in these fixtures, and Arteta believes the 24-year-old’s performances over the last 12 months at club level have allowed his confidence to grow which makes him a worthy candidate to take over the gloves from Pickford at the World Cup.

‘I think Aaron is really confident anyway! It would be a good reward for him for what he has done,’ Arteta said ahead of his side’s trip to Brentford on Sunday.

‘I hope he is [picked for the World Cup]. I think it would be great for us and Aaron. He showed in the last year what he is capable of doing. We will be watching and waiting for that decision.’

Ramsdale started last season as Arsenal’s second-choice shot-stopper behind Bernd Leno in the pecking order, but quickly moved ahead of the German in the pecking order, and went on to keep 12 clean sheets in 34 league appearances for the Gunners in 2021-22.

He has also started the current campaign strongly, registering two clean sheets in six matches to date, and he was particularly impressive in Arsenal’s 2-1 comeback win against Fulham in August.

Pickford has been in good form himself, though, managing to keep Liverpool at bay in the Merseyside derby to earn his side a point earlier this month.

The Everton goalkeeper has experience on his side as well, having won 45 caps for England, while Ramsdale has only represented his country on three occasions.

The latest of those came in England’s shock 4-0 defeat against Hungary in the Nations League in June, but Ramsdale looks set to get the chance to put that night behind him during the next international break.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ronaldo to equal record as Man Utd Portuguese trio discover World Cup fate

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo is set to become only the fifth player to feature at five World Cups after being named in Portugal’s 26-man squad for Qatar. Meanwhile, Manchester United teammate Bruno Fernandes will travel to his second finals, with Diogo Dalot making his tournament debut. Many believe this will be Ronaldo’s last appearance at the showpiece […]

Continue Reading

Sports

The official: Cristiano Ronaldo sends message after Portugal World Cup announcement

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo says he is “ready to raise the name of Portugal very high” after being named in Fernando Santos’ World Cup squad. The 37-year-old is set to become only the fifth player to feature at five finals in what many feel will be his final appearance on the world’s biggest stage. Having won every […]

Continue Reading

Sports

Portugal announce the 26-men squad for the World Cup: Ronaldo & Pepe lead

Published

on

Portugal announce the 26-men squad for the World Cup: Ronaldo & Pepe leadPortugal are in group H at the Qatar World Cup and will come up against Ghana, Uruguay and South Korea.That means we will see a repeat of a 2018 World Cup quarter-final, when Portugal were knocked out at the round-of-16 stage after a […]

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.

%d bloggers like this: